The time has come to reclaim the grass and weed infested flowerbeds of my front yard. They look ratty.
But I'm prudent and I want to do it
right. Some of those weeds are tall, having established themselves
fully.
There's an environmental impact to
every change. Beetles, ants, worms, and the aforementioned weeds and
grass all stand to lose their place or be uprooted in numbers too great to ignore.
This, for vanity.
Grass and weeds have pushed up through
cracks in the pavement and my intention is to yank them out
or poison them. No
one will stop me.
Shockingly, classes are not mandated as
to how to put in a flowerbed while doing the least damage to the
various creatures who will be hurt or disrupted: the worms that will
be cut in half by the shovel, or the burrowing insects whose lairs
will be opened to the birds and utterly laid waste, and the roots
that will be severed from the flora they feed forever.
Further, sensitivity training is
unavailable for the reality that after the flowerbeds are cleared of
weeds and grass and after the lives of so many creatures that once
inhabited the soil are ruined, flowers and other special class of
plants will occupy what once been a thriving ecosystem. No doubt
they'll arrive from a nursery or some other foreign place. Non
native, or at least not aboriginal plants! Replacing the grass and
weeds that actually came from the flowerbeds!
Why does no one regulate this?
After the flowerbeds flourish and are
beautiful, traffic will be affected. Drivers will
look, momentarily averting their attention. This alone should give
pause, because in the distracted moment children will dart
into the road for their ball and be crushed by the passing vehicle.
Detractors will point out that the weed infestation would also draw
attention, but to them I will not
respond. Clearly they are weedists. They have their preference and
they will always denigrate weeds. It's a hatred. They're haters.
The flowerbeds will flourish and their
beauty will cause pedestrian travelers to divert from other
destinations to see and smell the glory. Some may stop and pull a blossom to take home.
They become thieves in so doing and
thereby the entire society is degraded. This will not happen if I
leave the weeds. No one stops to pick your weed. No one stops to
smell the weed. They just keep on going. Weeds do not get their due
for the affect they have on lives by encouraging passers by to just
keep on going.
Detractors will point out that a weed
infested yard screams neglect and may invite burglary break in
because of the belief that the homeowner is away. Weedists. Haters.
Even if it is so.
In the end it has to be considered well
before one spade of earth is cut from it's place. Does all the energy
it will take to reclaim the yard and the carnage on existing
inhabitants of that space outweigh the benefit to me? Me, one soul.
My vanity. My personal desire to have an attractive yard. My
obligation as a good neighbor to keep the blow weeds from seeding
adjacent yards. Doesn't the good of the many (bugs, weeds) count for more than the
needs of the one(human)? I'm just a person. These poor plants and
creatures are in my power. What am I going to do? Will I do the right
thing? So many consequences.
I am not a weedist. I do not hate
weeds. I do not hate the bugs and worms. In fact, I think that in the
end, it will all be better if I do my part.
Call me a weedist. Deride my vanity.
Whine. But I'm doing it. I'm putting in the flowerbeds. And I'm
spraying anything that grows in my street and at the curb.
For the record, my preference for
flowers is as valid as anyone's weed predilection.
No comments:
Post a Comment